Although our holiday seems like a lifetime away and it is probably getting a bit late to write about it, I will just going to post about our night-time hike up Adam's Peak in Sri Lanka, a most sacred Budhist site. Much like our killer hike up Croagh Patrick in Co. Mayo, Ireland about two years ago Tim and I never like to let a mountain get the better of us. The climb started at 12:30am when the alarm went off and we dragged our sleepy butts out of bed. Our driver Sri Lal picked us up and drove us, in the dark, an hour into the central hills on windy, narrow roads (driving back later on in the day, I am glad I couldn't see how close to the edge we were!). We could see the lights marking out the path to the top of the mountain for miles, building that feeling of anticipation. You can't climb it in the day because it is too darn hot. So Sri Lankan people normally wake up in the middle of the night and do it in the dark. As I said, the path is lit all the way up so it is not too scary but it was mighty steep. The idea is you reach the top for sunrise and a little supplication to the Budha, or rather to his footprint (which is on a strange rock formation). Interestingly, in Hindu tradition the footprint is believed to be that of Shiva; in Muslim tradition that of Adam. Anyway, enough chit chat. Here are some photos.
1 comment:
Thanks for these posts El - have really enjoyed reading all about your hols. Sounds magical. Let's have a get together sooooon. x S Ma
Post a Comment