Monday, 31 October 2011

Thunderbird

One thing I love about living here is the huge, deafening tropical storms (also love the clouds, but that's a different story).  We are in the middle of one at the moment.  Thunder that makes you jump out of your skin has been rolling over head for the last hour.  The rain is coming down in fast and furious sheets and the building site across the way is shrouded in mist, the banging drowned out by the sound of wind and rain lashing the trees.  Bliss. What I love most of all is that I am tucked up at home with a good book and I can put the lights on and feel cosy.  I have the balcony windows open to let in the cool, moist air and so that I can hear the thunder claps even better.  Actually, some of them are more like thunder explosions and I want to hide behind the sofa or under the covers, as if I was a little girl again.  But mostly I am an awed witness to Mother Nature's fearsome power.

p.s. just when you think it's over, and you are putting the finishing touches to your blog post, it all kicks off again.  What a great day!

1 comment:

AFG said...

I love them too. And I love being awoken in the night by some kind of primitive early warning system just seconds before the heavens open and the rain thunders down. And then I turn over and go back to sleep, as you say, safe and cosy inside.