I have a million and one things to do for my course, but I thought I would just give you a quick update on school and how it has all gone so far. Apart from getting monumentally lost in Woking town centre in the pouring rain on day 1 and being late, things have gone very smoothly. The school is good, the kids are well-behaved, the teachers have all been extremely friendly and welcoming and my fellow PGCE students are a nice bunch. I haven't been let loose on any kids yet, that happens next Friday when I am teaching a ten minute starter activity to a top set Year 8 class. I'm at the stage where I am looking forward to standing up and taking control - I have done enough lesson observations.
I will write more, I promise, but I wanted to add one other comment before I go. I had a free afternoon today so I spent it reading some of the books that the kids are studying in English. I started with Skellig by David Almond. I was sick of hearing about it: since starting university I have heard it mentioned countless times. But now I know why. It is written for children, but it is incredibly profound, tender and moving. If you can find a copy, read it. It won't take you more than a few hours. It is a very special book.
1 comment:
remind me again how old year 8s are?
Am very excited for you, Elle, it all sounds pretty fascinating.
Post a Comment