Sunday, 21 November 2010

Progress update

The pressure has been mounting in the last two weeks - after half term (which wasn't really a half term for us) I started teaching my full timetable which is 4 hours one week, 7 hours the next, with an extra 2 hours thrown in for fun. Going from observing lessons to planning for and teaching a whole timetable (obviously much reduced as I am a student teacher, but still a lot for someone who has never taught before) has been overwhelming and I have been struggling to stay on top of things. Hence the lack of blogging.

But apart from a few bad lessons, the actual teaching part has been great fun. I recognise how much I still have to learn but more than anything else I have done in my life, I feel like I have the potential to excel at this job. I find being with the kids so entertaining - they are funny, cheeky, constantly pushing boundaries, but when you can find something to engage them it is like you have struck gold. They brim with enthusiasm and imagination and it is contagious.

Standing in front of 32 kids, I feel more assured and authoritative than I think I would have done if I had become a teacher straight after university. I can't say I look back at my 10 years in business with much fondness, but that experience has given me the tools to cope with the demands of this year and the skills to become a successful teacher.

1 comment:

Jillibean said...

El, I'm loving reading your blog and all about your experiences as a student teacher. I have to say, I am convinced you'll be an inspirational teacher and that you've truly found your calling.
Much love, Jillibean xxxx