Saturday, 15 January 2011

Delivering the goods


I have this one year 8 class (12 yrs old) and it seems they always deliver the goods when I need them to. When I was being observed by my university tutor, we had the best lesson we've ever had together and my mentor came away impressed by my progress. Yesterday, I had a Period 5 lesson with them, the first lesson of a series of lessons that I have to plan, teach and then evaluate in an 8,000 word essay on 'talk in the classroom'. Period 5 is the last lesson of the week when you always expect the kids to be a bit distracted. But this class is a top set and they are truly a joy to teach. They are engaged, motivated and enthusiastic in every lesson.

Yesterday, they worked hard, came up with excellent comments and despite my misgivings at the effectiveness of what I was asking them to do, demonstrated that they had met the learning objectives. When I asked the class if they had any comments on the lesson that I could add to my research, three kids put up their hands and said the following:

Pupil A - "I enjoyed the interactive part...like speaking and informing the other person...that helped a lot. The whole interactive part helped."

Pupil B - "I liked that it wasn’t just writing...we did reading and speaking activities."

Pupil C - "I liked that we worked in groups and could find out each other’s opinions and stuff."

These three quotes sum up the main thrust of my essay and bring joy to my heart. This class are total superstars!


I made them think up rules for working in groups at the beginning of the lesson

2 comments:

AFG said...

That's so cute. Well done you.

Jillibean said...

Wow! That's really powerful stuff El! That's the kind of stuff I'm asking my adults to do in my courses and your kids came up with better answers. Love love love it.
Jillibean.
xxxx