Where has October gone? Well it's passed me by in a blur of planning and marking and now I find myself in an autumnal England, for half-term week. And I'm so grateful to be here! Seeing my family again been brilliant/funny/emotional. As we are not coming home for Christmas, my Mum organised an early Christmas lunch (with a little Thanksgiving thrown in) on Sunday. And my sisters organised a stocking, full of helpful things for our Christmas trip to New Zealand, including a map of 'Middle Earth', On The Road by Jack Kerouac and an egg sandwich (family tradition for long car trips - we normally have to eat them about half an hour after we set off as they can be extremely whiffy). It all felt very overwhelming and you know when you are with people you miss, after some time apart, you realise how much you actually miss them? Well that has been happening all over the place since I've been back.
Yesterday I went for a run by the river and I was nearly alone, apart from a few ducks and a solitary sculler. I had one of those 'I'm so happy to be alive' moments, sitting by the river listening to life move around me, with the beauty of Autumn as backdrop (which is breathtaking to eyes used to tropical evergreens).
Today, I'm heading into London to see friends and for shopping; a whole bunch of other reasons to remind me of how lucky I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment