Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Family time

The family have been here a week and a bit. I've been busy having so many guests to look after - just keeping us in the staples (bread, milk and butter) is nearly a full-time job let alone everything else. The washing machine has been going non-stop as has the aircon. But practicalities aside, they are really enjoying themselves and love the facilities on offer in our condo, the pool and tennis courts in particular. Apart a bit of background noise from the building site across the way, they could be in paradise.

We all went to Raffles for afternoon tea on Sunday afternoon which I liked much more than I was expecting to. It is almost certainly a clip-joint, but the cakes and sandwiches were delicious (I miss sandwiches) and the atmosphere, with a harp being gently plucked in the background, very pleasant. We then retired to the Raffles Long Bar, famous for the Singapore Sling and Tim, his mum and brother and I sat wiling away the last few hours of daylight talking about home and a lot of other things besides. They put bowls of peanuts on your table here and you are supposed to eat them and then throw the shells on the floor. I really liked the atmosphere in the Long Bar and could imagine what it would have been like in the colonial times. Although it was overrun with tourists, it didn't have that touristy feel to it. I'm not sure about Singapore Slings though - far too sweet for my liking.

Mother and son

Unruly nephew added to the picture

In the long bar with the Phibster

1 comment:

Jillibean said...

Hi El, Hi Tim,
Thanks for posting El. Nice to see your digs and know what you're up to. Makes it seem that you're not so far away.
Sending lots of love from Moi and Dave
Jillibean
xxxxx