It rained all day yesterday but today the sun is shining. I have spent the morning clearing boxes which has been very satisfying, but I have got to the point where we have run out of things to unpack into to, so I am going to call it a day for now. Once the Ikea delivery arrives, I am heading out on the hunt for furniture and then I have booked myself a mani/pedi as a treat later this afternoon.
I started my TEFL course on Monday and my second day was Wednesday. I'm glad it is not full-time as I think it would be more than I can handle at the moment. The rest of the week I have time to unpack, run errands, wait in for deliveries and generally sort things out. But I have enjoyed the first two days, and teaching adults is going to be a very pleasant change from the rug rats I had in London. The course is already teaching me things that would apply to my teaching practice in general and as an extra bonus, I think I might have made a couple of new friends.
Tim is so excited about having our own table and chairs that he has been inviting all the people he has met so far in Singapore and their wives to dinner. We entertained for the first time last night and it went well. I attempted my first meringue for desert which, as my Mum says, is very forgiving and it ended up in a chewy, creamy, fruity Eton mess. Just how I like it. I unpacked all my cook books this morning so for next week's guests I am going to try something a little more ambitious.
My first full week in Singapore has flown by, but we have accomplished a lot. I have had moments of feeling homesick - not having been away from home for such a long time, I kind of forgot what it felt like. But if we didn't have such wonderful family and special friends back home then I wouldn't get homesick at all, so I remind myself how lucky I am and get busy settling in and embracing this Asian adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment