Saturday, 6 August 2011

Temples and a cockroach

We've had a lot of excitement for a Saturday. We decided we needed to do something 'cultural' today so thought we would go and visit a few temples in Little India. Little India was just like India! Actually it wasn't, but it was fun. The temples were interesting and colourful. The best bit was our lunch - $14 (about £7) for two fresh naan, paneer, something with okra in it and a large plate of chicken and rice. Oh, and a marsala tea. So delicious. I think Indian is my favourite food, after Italian.

Buddha in the 'Temple of 1,000 Lights'

The ornate entrance to Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple

A spot of lunch

But the real excitement happened before we left the flat. I opened a cupboard to get the camera out and there was a large, brown cockroach staring right back at me. I was shocked, especially as I have no idea how he got in there. Obviously, when you see one cockroach you start thinking that the place must be overrun with them. So our cab ride to Little India was a little frenetic, as Tim called a selection of pest controllers trying to get someone to come and look at the problem today. Our guy Sam duly turned up at 2pm and has done a great job spraying, laying bait and most importantly catching the live one in the cupboard - I did take a picture, but I'll spare you that. Our 'realtor' told us when we were house-hunting that she gets her house sprayed 'every month - just for peace of mind' - I totally get it now.

p.s. I know that these sorts of creepy crawlies are all part of living in the tropics...I'm just not overly keen on sharing my house with them.

4 comments:

Pascale said...

Yum for you lunch (made me hungry for Indian food at 8am!) but YUK for your visitor!

CharlieDave said...

I remember stamping on a cockroach I found under the sink in Cape Town and it still wouldn't die! At least you don't have mice.

Elle said...

Apparently cockroaches can survive over a month without food or water. They are nearly indestructible!

AFG said...

Well, indeed, welcome to life in the tropics, part and parcel. Always keep industrial strength aerosol bug-zapping spray to hand is what I say, that way you stay at arm's length (literally) and kill the blighters and sweep them up. Other options (stamping, brooms, trapping them under containers...) require far too much proximity and messiness. Of course, if you can afford a monthly fumigation... definitely the way forward. Wait till you get to snakes, spiders and scorpions ..... hehehe.