Wednesday, 30 November 2011

NZ

As I think I mentioned, we fell in love with New Zealand and are plotting a return trip as soon as our bank balance has recovered.  I found it to be a ridiculously beautiful country - I mean how much breathtaking scenery can one country have?  And as I've mentioned previously, this is only the North Island, the South Island is supposed to be even better.  Even though we are 'closer' to New Zealand in Singapore, it is still a ten-hour flight so it's not exactly on our doorstep.  But I feel very grateful that we had the opportunity to visit this year.

Taken from the air in the Bay of Islands - we were trying to get up to Cape Reinga, the northernmost point of the North Island but the weather was not kind and we had to turn back.

The marae (meeting house) at Waitangi, built to commemorate the signing of the Waitangi treaty between the Maori and the British Crown.  It turns out that the British and the Maori signed two very different versions of the treaty as the Maori translation did not reproduce the exact meaning of the English text.  Although the treaty still stands today, it has proved controversial since its signing.
Hawkes Bay with Cape Kidnappers in the distance and the town of Napier in the foreground - taken from our wonderful art deco lodge.

The Alpha Domus vineyard near Hawkes Bay, taken during our 'On Yer Bike' wine tasting bike tour
Cape Kidnappers - named by James Cook
Waitrose lambs!
The ferry making its way to Auckland.  Taken from Waiheke Island, a 45 min ferry ride from the city, but it is like another world
Susnet from our lodge on Waiheke Island
Redwoods at Rotorua
View south from Te Mata peak

1 comment:

AFG said...

Waow, very jealous!