Monday, 11 April 2011

Burnt Orange

I've changed the colour of my blog in homage to the cover of my new Kindle - I opted for the 'burnt orange' and I'm loving both the cover and the Kindle itself. I admit, I was skeptical about the Kindle at first. But it dawned on me that they are immensely practical things (and I am an immensely practical person) and with my three week trip to Singapore looming and the knowledge that I have limited space in my suitcase for fun books, I thought I would take the plunge. I am currently reading The Count of Monte Cristo, purchased for 70p in the Kindle Store. But there is a lesson here...as I read it, I realise why it cost so little. The translation is absolutely appalling. Clunky, awkward and archaic. I keep eying up the Penguin Classics edition, which is a full £8 dearer, but it seems pointless buying it when I have the paper copy in storage. So I will plough on and try not to let the 'Project Guttenberg Press' ruin the story. But as always, you pay for what you get.

No comments: